lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.7pre.4

From: Stefan Caunter
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.7pre.4
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 17:29:16 -0400

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 5:18 PM, David Woolley
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> If this means what I think it does, I'm strongly against this option's
>> new default. Lynx should send a user agent by default, for example so
>
> Agreed.  Amongst other things, unless it does, Lynx will score a flat zero
> in browser user statistics, reinforcing the argument that it can be totally
> ignored.

I'm not sure that's a reason to do anything anymore.

>> that people see it's actually used or can optimise for it. The ability
>> to turn it off is good only in corner cases, like pages that misunder-
>> stand the "optimise" bit above.
>
> Sending no User-Agent header is sufficiently unusual, that I think there is
> a real risk that servers will start discriminating against such browsers.

Such is the case right now. Servers are explicitly refusing to answer
requests from lynx. I don't know if leaving out the header solves
anything, but I like the additional configurability.

Stefan
http://caunter.ca/contact.html