lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: media types

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: media types
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:50:26 +0000 (UTC)

Thomas Dickey dixit:

> not easily: we'd have to save the data that wasn't decoded somewhere (since
> we're not even looking at the header) and try different decompression
> algorithms on it.

For the first two or three bytes, would an ungetch-like approach work?
The deflate vs gzip compression is really a special case. Guessing is
indeed much more work and involves buffering, for lzma-alone even the
*entire* file content (LZMAv5 is supposed to use a gzip-like header to
fix this problem).

> 1F-08 ?  (I'm looking at a gzip'd file beginning 1F-8B).

Er, right, 1F 8B 08 it was.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Sometimes they [people] care too much: pretty printers [and syntax highligh-
ting, d.A.] mechanically produce pretty output that accentuates irrelevant