lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Usnatch - or how to view YouTube clips using Lynx and/or

From: Paul B. Mahol
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Usnatch - or how to view YouTube clips using Lynx and/or the console!
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:49:29 +0000

There is no need to iplement anything like that inside lynx.
lynx provides externals, and with externals you can do anything you want:
some examples;
watch youtube videos with unsatch, - well, usnatch use mplayer to
display videos, but for some reasons xine works better for me.
chat on irc, watch and/or listen various podcast with mplayer, xine,
xmms, amarok ..  or any other usefull multimedia program, with x11
output or without it.
use wget, aget, fetch, pavuk, curl or any other usefull program under
sun like perl, python, rexx, ..
LIMIT is only your imagination.
PRINTER and DOWNLOADER also have its own unlimited use.

But I do not like much current usnatch, for following reasons, it
always ask where to store video, it plays video only when download is
finished.

Second can be easily fixed: let mplayer start to loop through video,
while in the backgroud video is still being fetched from net.
If user do not want to watch all of it, user just quits mplayer when
it have seen first few seconds of video and usnatch simple abort wget
and exit.

In short: instead of plugins, lynx have: externals, printer,
downloader (and other features ..)