lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] more def7_uni updates

From: Larson, Timothy E.
Subject: [Lynx-dev] more def7_uni updates
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:26:15 -0500

Another year and a half, another small patch from me.  :)

Patch file (against 2.8.7dev5):
<http://christtrek.dyndns.org:8000/~tim/lynx.patch>

I've made an attempt to thoroughly review and include translations for
every arrow-like symbol.  Previously some of them had good 7-bit
translations, but sometimes they were dissimilar from other similar
symbols.  I thought a more consistent translation might be an
improvement.

I tried to follow a simple algorithm for translating each arrow.  I
think the result of this effort is that, while a few symbols may
occasionally become slightly less recognizable (particularly those of
vertical alignment, for which there's no great solution in a
horizontally-aligned script), viewed as a whole the translation is
improved.  Where I changed a translation in a way that I suspected might
seem dubious, I kept the old one in a comment.  Only users' practical
experience will tell if these changes are indeed better.  If there's
negative feedback from a heavy arrow user, well, it can be changed then.

These are the ranges I concerned myself with:
2190-21FF Arrows
2600-26FF Misc. Symbols
2700-27BF Dingbats
27F0-27FF Suppl. Arrows A
2900-297F Suppl. Arrows B
2B00-2BFF Misc. Symbols and Arrows

In the process, I revised a few other symbols here as well.  When it was
possible to remove English-language references in favor of a purely
"graphical" representation (e.g. U+2620 caution sign), I did so.  If no
good graphical interpretation seemed possible, an English abbreviation
of the symbol's meaning was used to generate the translation--better to
have something than nothing.  However, overall clarity is most
important, so if a symbol is part of a group where only some could be
graphically translated (e.g. zodiacal symbols), the more consistent
approach was used.

Tim
--
Tim Larson
InterCall, a subsidiary of West Corporation