lynx-dev

Re: Fwd: [Lynx-dev] lynx not honoring apache document root path

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Lynx-dev] lynx not honoring apache document root path
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 06:05:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Hendrik-Jan Heins wrote:

Hello Thomas,

So it was the encoding all along!
I changed it now to: "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" and indeed,
it just works now.
I also tested with other browsers and they seem to be fine with it.

But I am curious: do you think this is something a lot of people get
wrong? Because that would mean that this is a bigger problem then it

I _think_ not many people pay attention to it.  In 15-20 minutes last
night I was not able to find any documentation on the feature other
than the RFC's mention of the default value.  There may be something
in the area of mailto's that applies...

seems. And I have no idea how much browsers actually do with the
enctype parameter...

...at least for w3m and (e)links(2), I can read the source to see
if they do anything.  (I suppose for mozilla/etc also, though their
code is - ahem - less concise).

Thanks a lot !!!!

cheers,

Hendrik-Jan

2007/7/24, Thomas Dickey <address@hidden>:
On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 01:44:00PM +0200, Hendrik-Jan Heins wrote:
> I did some more testing:
> If I ask for:
> http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_part.php?brandname=1st+Wave
> or:
> http://linux-wless.passys.nl:80/query_part.php?brandname=1st+Wave
>
> Lynx just works. So it seems to be something about the way lynx parses
> the code from the requesting page.
>
> For the sake of completeness; this is the code:

> <form action="query_chipset.php" method="get" enctype="text/plain"
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lynx sees the encoding type and decides to present the data as plain text.
RFC 1866 does not describe what happens for that choice - only notes
that the default is application/x-www-form-urlencoded

I'm looking to see if there is an applicable reference, but am guessing
this is a deprecated feature which is not recognized by the other
browsers - so they happen to send the query with the default encoding.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net

--