lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Strange dependency on $HOME, crash with -dump -stdin, no

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Strange dependency on $HOME, crash with -dump -stdin, no crash without -stdin
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 12:45:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007, Rado S wrote:

Moin,

my normal command line is like this:
        lynx -force_html -stdin -dump < file > outfile
OR
        cmd | lynx -force_html -stdin -dump > outfile

BUT, this fails, crash, segv, core dump.
Run with "gdb" (with a stripped lynx bin :( ) and using "backtrace",
it revealed this list:

------ QUOTE BEGIN ------
(gdb) run -stdin -dump < bla2.html > bla
Starting program: lynx -stdin -dump < bla2.html > bla
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
0xfefc2d2c in _free_unlocked () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0xfefc2d2c in _free_unlocked () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
#1  0xfefc2ce4 in free () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
#2  0xd7690 in HTSACopy ()
#3  0x653e4 in LYmktime ()

LYmktime is in src/LYutils.c, doesn't seem to call HTSACopy:

00000000 T LYmktime
         U LYstrncpy
         U TraceFP
         U WWW_TraceFlag
         U __guard
         U __stack_smash_handler
         U _ctype_
         U _toupper_tab_
         U atoi
         U ctime
00000000 F foo.c
         U fprintf
         U strcasecomp
         U strncat
         U time

#4  0x6555c in IsOurFile ()
#5  0x91f68 in HTFormatInit ()

This doesn't make sense either.  The core file is either corrupt or
doesn't match the actual executable for some reason.

Is this lynx one that you compiled?  (I'd assume so).  Working with
an unstripped binary seems preferable.

#6  0x48590 in main ()
------- QUOTE END -------

Now, when I change it to run without stdin, it works fine.
        lynx -force_html -stdin -dump file > outfile

I've encountered this with other tools before, so I have no idea
what the cause is: the app (lynx2.8.7dev.5) or the shell (ksh88) or
OS (solaris8). It seems not shell related (fails with sh + bash, too).
However, when not normal NFS-$HOME is changed to /tmp/..., then it
works, too.

That hints at problems reading the files (including lynx) over NFS.
I've seen that a lot (in certain configurations), but don't know much
about debugging NFS.

How can I proceed tracking it down?

However, it doesn't fail with every file: I've attached an example
spam that has been sent as .xls and converted via xls2html.

--
? Rado S. -- You must provide YOUR effort for your goal!

Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net