lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] using fresher libwww?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] using fresher libwww?
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 20:45:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Mikhail T. wrote:

Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Mikhail T. wrote:

Hello!

It appears, lynx is using its own bundled version of libwww. The bundled version is rather old, and a much newer one is available from http://www.w3.org/Library/ . Its most recent version is 5.4.0, and was released in 2002. Quite stable, and can not be dismissed as a "moving target".
yes/no.  lynx uses a heavily modified version of libwww from around 1996.
To use a more recent version would involve a lot of work to determine which of those modifications should be moved into a newer version (as
well as whatever concerns about interface changes).
Well, the W3 consortium have tried to give the library away to "open-source developers" since 2002. If the Lynx project are the most active users of the software, maybe, you should take it over, merge your changes in, and release independently? I'm sure, your -- actively developed -- branch could be useful for other projects...

I probably don't have time (recall that I maintain several programs).

But to show what you're asking, I did did a quick diff between the two, and see that the newer libwww is essentially unrelated to the older (except superficially).

The new code is about 87kloc:

 87457 21501?+>  total lines/statements

while the old is more than 2/3 that:

 59934 18202?*>  total lines/statements

and the _change_ from old/to is 80kloc's:

(that's after indenting the new code to the same scheme, etc).

On a merge of that type, progress doesn't go fast - figure about a years's work (for one person, working full time).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net