lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to init preferred-doc-lang from LANG/LANGU

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to init preferred-doc-lang from LANG/LANGUAGE
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:01:28 +0900

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 06:39:17PM -0400, Chuck Houpt wrote:
> At 7:13 AM +0900 4/23/07, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > > I think it would be useful to default PREFERRED_LANGUAGE based on
> >> LANG/LANGUAGE, because then both the UI and documents would be
> >> displayed in the user's favorite languages.
> >
> >I don't understand the plural of "languages".  If LANG/LANGUAGE sets
> >PREFERRED_LANGUAGE, then won't it be locked into that single language?
>
> Both LANGUAGE and the preferred document language can be a single
> language code or lists. So for example if LANGUAGE="en:fr:de", then

I don't think there is any such environment variable "LANGUAGE" in BSDs;
at least environ(7) doesn't document one.  One of Lynx's prime fortes is
its portability.  I'd hate to see that go out the window.

To clarify my comments about LANG: to the best of my knowledge this
variable is used _as a fallback_ for NLS, and has nothing to do with web
browsing, UIs or web-served documents.  Thus, if you want to use LANG with
Lynx, it should be used for setting a default catalogue of messages to
reference.  BUT, please, please do not do that.  Setting defaults like that
on a multi-lingual system only causes trouble.  There was mention that my
case was rare or unusual.  Well, anyone who uses an internationalized
Mutt is going to butt heads with Lynx if Lynx starts mucking around with
LANG in any way.  (The mailcap conflict I asked about a while back is plenty
bad without adding another one.)

> preferred doc language would be "en,fr,de". Multi-lingual web sites

The thing is Lynx already can do this and more, easily configurable via
the options menu.  I'm sorry, but I think passing on the preferred doc
language is a job for the browser, not the shell.

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999