lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to init preferred-doc-lang from LANG/LANG

From: Chuck Houpt
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to init preferred-doc-lang from LANG/LANGUAGE
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:39:17 -0400

At 7:13 AM +0900 4/23/07, Henry Nelson wrote:
 > I think it would be useful to default PREFERRED_LANGUAGE based on
 LANG/LANGUAGE, because then both the UI and documents would be
 displayed in the user's favorite languages.

I don't understand the plural of "languages".  If LANG/LANGUAGE sets
PREFERRED_LANGUAGE, then won't it be locked into that single language?

Both LANGUAGE and the preferred document language can be a single language code or lists. So for example if LANGUAGE="en:fr:de", then preferred doc language would be "en,fr,de". Multi-lingual web sites (ex: http://debian.org) use the setting to send the best matching language. For example, if English isn't available, French would be sent.

- Chuck