lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] A patch for lynx.

From: hsv
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] A patch for lynx.
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:15:29 -0400

Also, as noted in my other reply, what users tend to want is that all
browsers behave the same, which means bugwise compatibility with the
dominant browser, and achieving that is a major job that even
consortia, like WHATWG, find difficult.
<<<<<<<<
And if something standard is not greatly implemented by the dominant,
it gets little use (and in any case presentation often rules for those
"author"s, too, who are interested in passing on information on a matter
dear to them. I follow a handful of such websites).

About a year ago I did a web-search for "Jingle Bells", and put together a
version that I believ most like the author s intent (web-searching is so
much easier than looking this up in books, although for this matter and
such much less trustworthy, and therefore it was important to find variants).
I want my webpage to point to my sources, and decided to use "<link
rev=alternate ..." to point to them. To Lynx this is an ordinary link, and
one readily follows it. Firefox notes it in "Page Info", but I found no
way of following it other than cutting&pasting into the URL-window. Will
Firefox change that because Lynx does it? Further, I suspect that the
quotation-attribute "cite", too, was meant for a link, but no webbrowser
makes it such. Which webbrowser is actually standard, and who cares?