lynx-dev

RE: [Lynx-dev] BRF charset support

From: Lloyd Rasmussen
Subject: RE: [Lynx-dev] BRF charset support
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:55:48 -0500

I don't know what is going on with this page, nor really what is expected.
I didn't try it with Lynx, but IE 7 displays it as
A b c
And says that the file is 5 bytes long.

There are at least a dozen mappings of the traditional code pages that are
based on 8 bits to braille in either 6-dot or 8-dot format.  Of course, the
table I'm most familiar with is the North American table, which maps letters
of the alphabet to Braille equivalent letters, maps numbers to the first ten
letters in the lower portion of the 6-dot cell, and then represents
punctuations as best it can.

The Unicode Braille table, u2800-28FF was developed in order to get a
standardized mapping to 8-dot braille glyphs regardless of the locale.  As
far as I know, it is not being supported much by braille-related hardware,
although this is beginning to change, especially in Europe where several
different braille-to-ASCII tables exist.  A meeting will be taking place in
Sweden this week that will have some effect on the future use of the U2800
range.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls