lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx HTML Parsing Bug

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx HTML Parsing Bug
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 19:42:33 -0400

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 09:37:33AM -0400, Isaac Morland wrote:
> There is a bug in Lynx' handling of at least some HTML tags.  If
> whitespace precedes the closing '>' of "</script>" then problems occur
> (see below for Unix and Lynx version, as well as the HTML source obtained
> using -mime_header and the result of using -dump).  If the space is
> removed, then -dump shows the title and line of text as expected.

I get this result with a current version of lynx (cut/paste including
shell prompts):
~ (105) lynx -dump http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~ijmorlan/lynxbug.html
                                    Test Page

   This is a test page.
~ (106)

So I think I fixed that a while ago.

The current version of lynx is 2.8.6

It's available at
        http://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.6/
2.8.7 Development & patches:
        http://lynx.isc.org/current/index.html

> This was detected because I have an HTML-generation library that puts a
> newline ('\n') before every '>' in order to put the output on multiple
> lines without ever inserting unwanted whitespace between tags.  The W3C
> validator has no problem with this and I have never observed any other
> browser to have a problem.
>
> Since I'm reporting things I'd like changed in Lynx, I will also mention
> that I'd really like -mime_header to *always* just show what comes back
> from the server.  If the server response is a 401, then the server headers
> are not shown; instead the Lynx error message about access denied is
> shown.

thanks - will add to my to-do list...

--
Thomas E. Dickey