lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] nested-table in lynx2.8.6pre.2

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] nested-table in lynx2.8.6pre.2
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 07:16:50 +0900

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 03:58:30AM +0900, address@hidden wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, address@hidden wrote:
> > Tried "http://weather.asahi.com/pinpoint/kinki/nara.html";.  :)
>
> Please try wider screen.  I tried with 120x35.  It's not perfect but
> so so.  The cells are aligned like stairs but we can understand the
> weather information when netsted-table is on.

I can see that my hopes were too high.  (I thought that just maybe my
not using color-style was the root of the problem.)

Sorry, but my honest opinion is that ALL of Lynx's table support is not
worth holding up a release.  Even "nested-tables" logic is insignificant
when compared to "w3m-table" logic (see rendering below).  Since Lynx has
as one of its many fortes passing content to other apps, it seems to me
that pages with tables Lynx can't do are still better handled by a custom
p)rint option or e)xternal until satisfactory table support is available.

__Henry

rendering of above URL's weather table by "w3m" (80-character-cell screen)
(True, could do without that extra column on the right! :)
         9/16    9/16    9/16    9/16    9/16    9/16    9/17    9/17   トラベル
         (土)    (土)    (土)    (土)    (土)    (土)    (日)    (日)
                                                                        音紀行
 時間      6       9      12      15      18      21       0       3
                                                                        健康
 天気    曇り    曇り    曇り    曇り    曇り     雨     曇り     雨
                                                                        100歳
降水量    0mm     0mm     0mm     0mm     0mm     0mm     0mm     0mm
                                                                        愛車
 気温    21℃    22℃    23℃    24℃    23℃    22℃    22℃    21℃
                                                                        BMW水
 風向    弱い   やや強  やや強  やや強   弱い    弱い    弱い    弱い
 風速             い      い      い                                    教育