lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Default file name when saving HTML documents to disk

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Default file name when saving HTML documents to disk
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:05:18 -0400

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:42:53AM -0400, Tunik Vlad-cvt002 wrote:
> I agree that the formed file name is legal. My question is why does Lynx
> append *.txt extension for *.html files and does not do this for *.cgi
> files? Does the user have control over it, or it is hidden in Lynx
> internals?

It's buried in lynx internals.  The ".txt" extension for instance is added
by this chunk in src/LYPrint.c:

static void SetupFilename(char *filename,
                          const char *sug_filename)
{
    HTFormat format;
    HTAtom *encoding;
    char *cp;

    LYstrncpy(filename, sug_filename, LY_MAXPATH - 1);  /* add suggestion info
*/
    /* make the sug_filename conform to system specs */
    change_sug_filename(filename);
    if (!(HTisDocumentSource())
        && (cp = strrchr(filename, '.')) != NULL
        && (cp - filename) < LY_MAXPATH - 5) {
        format = HTFileFormat(filename, &encoding, NULL);
        if (!strcasecomp(format->name, "text/html") ||
            !IsUnityEnc(encoding)) {
            strcpy(cp, TEXT_SUFFIX);
        }
    }
}

The cgi script doesn't have a text/html format, so lynx leaves its name alone.

There is one known bug (your report reminded me of that, and reading the
code I see it): the function suggested_filename() in src/LYPrint.c should
also check for bzip2's suffixes ".bz2".