lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] how to maximize client area???, etc.

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] how to maximize client area???, etc.
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 11:37:49 +0000 (GMT)

> Oh that would be wonderful. I've never understood why Lynx doesn't
> support style sheets. Obviously it can't support all of CSS, but then

Part of the reason is that it would require a complete rewrite of
the parsing and rendering engines.  For modern GUI compatibility,
it would also require abandoning a render once policy and have it
re-render parts when, say, a link became visited.

A pre-requisite for CSS is that  you should have a complete parse
tree in memory.  Even in Sort of SGML mode, Lynx takes short cuts on
the parse tree.  In tag soup mode, I don't think one really exists.

Because of tag soup, in the real world, it would need to implement the
same rules as IE does for creating a parse tree from malformed HTML
(IE doesn't actually create a tree in that case, but I think that the
CSS processing can find a unique tree in the more complex structure).

Like with full scripting support, it would almost certainly be better
to produce a text only version of Gecko than adapt Lynx.  (Amaya already
has a text only mode, although it renders that through a GUI environment.)