lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Re: how to maximize client area???

From: hsv
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Re: how to maximize client area???
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:43:12 -0600

>>>> 20050130 01:06 -0500, Chuck Martin >>>>
For example, an H1 header is always centered (presumably because it's
usually used for the title of the page).  The rest of the headers are
indented progressively by even numbers of spaces; i.e. H2 headers are
indented zero spaces, H3 headers two spaces, H4 headers four spaces,
etc.  Since normal text is indented by three spaces, which is an
odd number, it will never line up with a header, so it's impossible
to mistake a single-line paragraph for a header.  Blockquotes
are indented five spaces, which is also an odd number, and will
therefore also never line up with a header.  And on and on.

Since Lynx can't have text in varying sizes and fonts to
differentiate these things, I think that the various numbers
of spaces used to indent things can be used, and is used, very
effectively, to serve that purpose.
<<<<<<<<

eliminating the 3-left " " how lynx would make to
represent the headings h1, h2, or blockquote, etc?
<<<<<<<<

Switch the indentings s function, even for text and odd for headings.
Few pages that I see hav headings, better to fill the screen for the
commoner case--or option:

        heading-indent C,0,2
        text-indent    3,5

showind the current case, with a number for every case, implicit
incrementing for cases left out, or in a simpler form,

        h2-9-indent 0,2
        text-indent 3,2

the latter numeral gives only the gap after the first indent.
Of course, we who want to better fill the screen would make them

        heading-indent C,1,3
        text-indent    0,2

or

        h2-9-indent 1,2