lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: Unicode & Ncursesw

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: Unicode & Ncursesw
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:30:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 address@hidden wrote:

> i installed the patched version of Ncursesw which you recommended.
>
> (1) NB the Ncurses default for  --prefix  is  /usr , not  /usr/local ,
> which is what './configure --help' says; luckily, i caught it.

actually (this was a feature requested long ago) on Linux and systems
where it's intended to be the system curses library, it defaults to /usr.
I've seen 1-2 other complaints about this in the past year (am not sure
how many more complaints would result if I removed the special case ;-)

> (2) there is no difference in behaviour wrt the Unicode test files.

well this is the problem we're focusing on.
(This reminds me of a to-do item I have to add the ncurses version to
lynx's version message, for bug-reports).

> (3) there is a difference in treatment of background color:
> using 'ncursesw', 'default' gives black & 'white' grey (Xterm & Konsole);
> using 'ncurses', 'default' gives white.

See ncurses' INSTALL file, where it notes that $TERM "xterm" is by default
"xterm-r6".  It would be nice to change that, but unlikely that anyone
would agree with the change.  I should make it a configure-script option,
since few people read INSTALL.

> (4) the error at the end of 'install-full' which i mentioned yesterday
> does not occur when using 'ncursesw'.

odd (I think that's unrelated though)