lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Re: lynx-dev a problem of Japanese with 2.8.5pre.5 compiled w

From: Atsuhito KOHDA
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Re: lynx-dev a problem of Japanese with 2.8.5pre.5 compiled withncursesw
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 17:17:02 +0900 (JST)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev a problem of Japanese with 2.8.5pre.5 compiled
withncursesw
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:27:18 +0900 (JST)

> In deed, I have a patch (*) which makes Lynx be able to convert
> Japanese text encoded UTF-8 to EUC-JP and Shift_JIS.  But I'm not sure
> it's best solution of this problem, because it uses iconv and Lynx
> already seems to have translation tables except CJK and in some
> environment we may not be able to use iconv.

Soory for very very delaied response and I'm afraid
I didn't understand you intention correctly.

I tested the above patch with my Debian GNU/Linux system
but I couldn't see any improvement ;-)

> On the other hand, Lynx doesn't have a translation table from Japanese
> part of UTF-8 to EUC-JP nor Shift_JIS also.  It's bad because we have
> to change screen setting (ex: from EUC-JP to UTF-8) to read Japanese
> pages encoded UTF-8, which is increasing in these days.

Does the above sentence mean that with the patched lynx
we could see text of UTF-8 on a kterm (or similar terminal)?

What settings would be assumed for CHARACTER_SET and
PREFERERRED_LANGUAGE etc. if so?

Or Linux is one of environment which can't use iconv?

I suspect I would misunderstand something essential but
I'd like to know, at least, an intention of the patch.

Regards,                    2004-5-10(Mon)

 Atsuhito Kohda <address@hidden>
 Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima