lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: failed to visit google

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: failed to visit google
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 15:04:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Serge Munhoven wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Inspiring from your trace, I hand-crafted requests and submitted them
> with netcat6 [1] to host 64.233.167.104 on port 80.  My diagnose would be
> that there is a very weird buffer-overflow in Google's server with
> regard to "Accept:" headers.  Depending on the number of "Accept:" headers
> and their size, the request fails (400) or succeeds (302 in my case:
> redicrection to google.be). E.g., the following:

thanks - I was just starting to put together a test with LV's actual
accept-string, to see what I could learn.

> I dont understand exactly what overflows when. (Cf. a similar problem
> discussed
> in August 2002 on this list: e.g, http://www.sysinternals.com server returned
> a 406 when the "Accept:"-headers totalized more than 256 characters - but this
> was an IIS; isn't google supposed to use Linux ? :).

That was the theory.  Maybe they're making it IIS-compatible
(bug-for-bugs).

> Conclusion: I don't really see how lynx should handle this differently.
> Maybe check how other browsers handle a lot of mimetypes ?

I seem to recall some observation that they don't advertise long lists
of mimetypes.  (It would be nice if other browsers had nice trace-files
so one could answer these questions simply - though there's ethereal).

w3m has a configure-screen text field which can be edited.  That seems
clumsy (if one does have a lot of mimetypes).  A list of checkboxes seems
to be overkill.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net