lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Agreement, opinions about the move ? (Was Re: mailing-list

From: Frédéric L . W . Meunier
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 11:27:58 -0200 (BRST)

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>
> > Yes, we could just add the 140+ automatically, but we don't
> > know how many are still "valid".
>
> We'll be able to tell once it's moved by looking at bounces.

Not all invalid accounts return "User unknown" or something,
and others may be valid but not used anymore.

Yes, maybe adding them and sending a message with something
like "If you don't reply withing a year...".

> > 6- If someone tries to subscribe to the old lynx-dev and
> > lynx-dev-contrib, send them a message about the move.
> >
> > The same could be made for messages from non subscribers. But
> > then you'd probably send hundreds of e-mails back to spammers.
>
> I'm assuming that it'll be filtered like the ncurses list (so
> there's the choice of simply discarding spam).

Maybe it could be done ? Why not, after all it's the same if
Bob forwarded them to the new list. Better let people know
about the move immediately and don't have to deal with all the
spam from the old list. If they really want to contact
lynx-dev, they'll know how to do once they read the message.

It could be done until a new release.

> > 7- Remove the spam from the FLORA.org archives. I already did
> > it for 2000-January 2004 (thanks to Pine), and really don't
> > think there was any before it. Well, there was one in December
> > 1999, but that's probably all. A spam (probably from a
> > subscriber) in thousands of messages isn't that bad. 90% or
> > more was.
>
> I'm told that the "real" archives aren't in mbox form, but as
> a database.

Because they wrote "Web-based reader of archive (Importing all
articles we could find)." ?

They use

http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/mailbox/convme
http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/mailbox/convme1