lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Question about WHEREIS

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Question about WHEREIS
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:01:28 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> > > I reuploaded it to
> > > http://pervalidus.dyndns.org:8080/ver_preco.asp . It should
> > > stay up for days.
> >
> > something like that - it's not interpreting as html right now.  But what I
> > see on a 24x80 screen
>
> OK, I'm on matroxfb 1024x768x16bpp.

hmm - my current X screen is 1280x1024, but I mentioned the character-cell
size so we'd have the same reference point for lynx's page numbers.  I
think before I was looking with a 50x80 screen, and it was not as obvious
that there was no scrolling action.

> > is that I get a match on p230 while the page is loading, and
> > the match on p231 does not cause scrolling until the page is
> > complete.  I guess that's what you are talking about...
>
> Yes. A "feature" ?

Perhaps LP would know offhand.  I have a hunch it is because some of the
data structures are not completed until the page loading is completed.
That could account for this.  I can take a quick look at the logic to
see, but suspect it's in the category of nice things to fix post-2.8.5.

> > Just checking, I see that Debian omits the samples/ directory, but adds a
> > few files from docs/.  Slackware has the current CHANGES in the
> > lynx_doc directory.  Redhat9 has the docs/ directory (including the
> > older CHANGES* files), but omits the current CHANGES file.
> >
> > I suspect that Slackware would have the docs/ subdirectory if we installed
> > it, but the other two would be unaffected.
>
> Yes, it'd. It uses:
>
> make install
> make install-help
> make install-doc

Yes - Pat actually reads the documentation and will use a working
makefile.  Debian has standards, and Redhat (enough said).

> It also installs README in 2 places with a 'cp -a README
> /usr/lib/lynx'.
>
> BTW, is there any reason to install lynx.lss twice ? I thought
> it was built-in, and it works (just prints 'Lynx file
> /usr/local/share/lynx/lynx.lss is not available.') if it's only
> in the samples directory.

Actually it's looked-for in the lib directory (like lynx.cfg).
The samples/ directory is just that - some interesting files useful
for making new configurations.

> About the KB: KiB, MiB, and GiB seem to be the new (not so new)
> standard:
> http://www.romulus2.com/articles/guides/misc/bitsbytes.shtml

I see.  I'm not sure which is more confusing, since they have
changed the meaning of the prevailing definition for "KB" to "KiB".
It would probably be simpler to offer the choice in the menu between
the two than to explain what "KiB" is.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net