lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev gettext troubles

From: Gisle Vanem
Subject: Re: lynx-dev gettext troubles
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:35:22 +0200

"Henry Nelson" <address@hidden> said:

> I don't understand this syntax (looks like a manually-constructed
> Makefile), but maybe you need to explicitly compile in the path
> to your compiled catalogue file.  On Unix using the configure script,
> that's done with the "--with-nls-datadir=" option.
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> In your case "--with-nls-datadir=g:\MingW32\share".

I created my own makefile (cause I could Configure to work with
MingW).

It seems gettext and friends requires a hardcoded compile-time
GNULOCALEDIR  value. And no leading driveletter is allowed.
How stupid can it get?

> > But GNU gettext is IMHO "a package from hell"!
>
> DITTO!!!!  (And practically all developers/packagers ram their favorite
> version of it down your throat.)

Maybe because the original version is so crappy. I've learned to mistrust
any software originated by Germans (Ulrich Drepper made gettext AFAIK).
All software suck sometimes. But GNU/FSF software tend to suck
much more. I only regret I've wasted time on this crap.

> > 2. set $LYNX_LOCALEDIR=g:\MingW32\share\locale
>
> I don't know what this is.  If $LYNX_LOCALEDIR is what is set by
> --with-nls-datadir, then try removing the final "\locale".

This is AFAICS supposed to override the compile-time GNULOCALEDIR
value (but failed to).

Gisle V.

There are only 10 types of people in this world...