lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.16b.patch.gz

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.16b.patch.gz
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:03:59 +0900 (JST)

> make[1]: *** [zh_TW.gmo] Error 1
>
> Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?

There are two types of "users" wrt NLS and building Lynx, those making
packages/bundles, and those building for their own use alone.  As for
the former, I have little sympathy for them since gettext per se has
nothing to do with Lynx, and this _kind_ of error can occur with any
application.  Anyway the rest is between them and Tom.  Karl did offer
some good advice and a solution.

As for those building Lynx for their own use, then I think he/she should
take the time to consider: 1) do I really want messages in a language
other than American English, i.e., do I really need NLS, and 2) what
language(s) do I want messages in if indeed I want something other than
the default English messages.  People in the former group can save a
lot of cpu time by using the configure option "--disable-nls".

Finally, we come to people who want NLS in their personal copy of Lynx.
Even within this group of users there is a wide range of options.  For
the user who only compiles one or two programs on their system, then
the gettext and translations distributed with Lynx are probably sufficient.
It seems like a waste of time and disk space to compile and install all
of the language catalogs that are available, so I would recommend choosing
only the one(s) you want.  I don't know if there is a configure option to
do this.  In many packages you can set the environment variable "LINGUAS"
before running the configure script to chose what language catalogue(s) are
to be installed.  (However, I think this means install, so you may end up
getting the same kind of error as described even if you don't choose Chinese.
When I do use this method, I normally hand edit the Makefile that configure
creates to be sure it is pulling in only the *.po files I want it to.)

If, however, you build many programs on your system, then I would HIGHLY
recommend that you install the latest GNU gettext package or use the gettext
implementation native to your system.  This is particularly true if you do
your own translations.  As far as Lynx is concerned, you would then use, in
general, the configure options: "--enable-nls --without-included-gettext
--with-nls-datadir=(where compiled catalogs go) --disable-included-msgs".

__Henry