lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: catch ^C's --> "are you sure?" (excellent!)

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: catch ^C's --> "are you sure?" (excellent!)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:51:25 +0900 (JST)

> The normal expected behaviour for SIGINT on an interactive program is
> to return to the basic command mode without losing state.

I've always expected ^C to stop a running program unconditionally, i.e.,
stop the process and return to the shell.  Just about any program I can
think of acts this way.  I don't understand what "return to the basic
command mode without losing state" means with regard to Lynx.

> SIGINT on
> Lynx is very easy to hit by accident and throws away all state.  The

This I don't understand, either.  Isn't this related to the keyboard?  I
don't recall ever having pressed ^C (means pressing two separated keys at
the same time) _by accident_.  If it's so easy to mistakenly hit ^C by
accident, then compile Lynx with -DIGNORE_CTRL_C (Thanks, Pat.).  Probably
someone who is prone to sending a SIGINT by mistake needs to redefine their
terminal options with stty or, better, re-write their terminal description
to fit their needs.

> function with the default binding of ^G is closer to what one would normally
> expect from SIGINT.

^G also seems fairly common amongst programs that I use regularly, with the
meaning to cancel the immediate action and return to the previous mode.
Lynx's handling seems to be normal in this respect.  ^G is handled within
the application, and no signal should be sent to the shell.

__Henry