lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx no longer in Red Hat ?

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx no longer in Red Hat ?
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:52:51 -0400

030716 Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>> I was browsing the irssi mailing-list archives
>> and found the following from a Red Hat employee
>>   http://www.dragoncat.net/lists/irssi-dev/2003-05/0002.html
>>   "lynx is no longer included in Red Hat Linux distributions.
>>   It has been superseded by links".
>> I don't know what he meant because 9.0 contains 2.8.5-11
>> and their current development tree 2.8.5-12.
> 2.8.5-12 is a little behind, though - dev.16 is current.

i too was surprised to find that Mandrake 9.1 didn't install Lynx
when i did a grannie install of the system recently.
Lynx remains my browser of choice for text-heavy sites,
incl my daily read of Washington Post.  i've never tried Links.

> When I get through my fixes for dialog, I'll work on dev.17
> (the parsing bugs, and see if we can start winding up 2.8.5).
> My new development machine (which has eaten much of the past month)
> is about 80 % installed (day job schedule is getting rather tight).
> One of the installs on the new machine was a Redhat 9,
> so maybe I'll remember to see what links does for line-drawing on that.

my new box (built from parts as before) came up with no problems,
except that it won't perform at the advertised level.
anyone know re AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton CPU + Soyo Dragon Ultra mobo?