lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Problem with parameters sent in Lynx

From: Peter Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problem with parameters sent in Lynx
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 19:52:44 +0100

On Sun Dec 29 19:30:43 2002 David Woolley <address@hidden> wrote:
>> All right, it seems that there are consensus regarding this issue. Anyone
>> here have any idea of an ETA for the fix?
>
>You'll have to ask the web site, as that's what needs fixing.  All that
>can be done to Lynx is to apply a heuristic that assumes that every space
>was supposed to have been a %20.  This won't work if multiple spaces got
>coalesced, extra spaces get introduce to improve layout, or the URL got
>wrapped and the space was turned into a newline.  In the latter case
>you have a choice of at least three heuristics:
>
>1) treat newline as a space and encode as %20;
>2) treat newline as CR-LF and encode as %0d%0a (or %0d or %0a or %0a%0d...);
>3) assume, that, unlike the space, the newline wasn't really supposed to be
>   there (possibly the best strategy for URL massacred by GUI email programs,
>   and the most compliant one).
>
>As even the space means %20 rule is an error recovery heuristic, it
>needs to be an option that can be turned off, to produce more compliant
>but less pragmatic, behaviour.
>
>Note that the extract from the URL specification is saying how URLs should
>be written, not how they should be sent in HTTP requests.

I'm not sure I quite understand all your points, but it looks as if what you are
trying to tell me is that my website, and it is my site that I am just now
trying to figure out what to do to get it to work with Lynx, needs to be fixed
because that is the Correct Fix(tm)?

Technically you may be right, I don't know, but as I hadn't encountered the
problem with other reasonably modern browsers until I tried my site with Lynx
it was difficult for me to see it as a problem with my site, pragmatically
speaking.

I hope that it wasn't because I asked for an ETA of the fix, because that was
only meant as a question and not a demand. I know that I am in no position to
demand anything, but I believe I am right to ask what to expect :-)

I hope you and everyone else will have a great Happy New Year, unless of course
you don't belong to the group that believes New Year is soon.

Thank you,

Peter