lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Trouble using file upload

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Trouble using file upload
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:30:36 -0500

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 02:37:54PM +0000, Mark Wainwright wrote:
> I'm probably doing something very stupid, but I can't seem to get file
> upload to work. That is, I visited
>
>   <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-upload.html>
>
> which has an <input type=file>, selected the relevant input, typed in
> the name of a suitable test file (in the current directory; I also tried
> giving the full path name) and submitted the form. I got an error
> message telling me I hadn't submitted a file at all. Lynx clearly thinks
> it's able to handle the file input since it encourages me to enter a
> file name, and I found hints in the lynx-dev archives that it's worked
> happily for people in the past, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
> The lynx documentation on forms doesn't seem to mention file inputs.

true - file-upload is still experimental.  The documentation is lagging...

> Notes that may or may not be useful:
>
> 1. The file entry field wasn't automatically activated, unlike other
> text entry fields.

I've noticed that I have to press enter an extra time to get it to allow
me to edit that field.  Perhaps there's some tweak needed in the code to
make it act more like the other fields (I hadn't thought of that).

> 2. lynx -version says
>
>   Lynx Version 2.8.4rel.1 (17 Jul 2001)
>   Built on linux-gnu Oct 15 2002 12:59:31
>
> but I get the same behaviour from version 2.8.3rel1 on Irix 6.3.
>
> Speaking of which, how am I running version 2.8.4 when
> <http://lynx.browser.org> thinks the latest version is 2.8.3?
>
> A final query: since lynx can do file browsing, wouldn't it be splendid
> if it could use this capability to help choose a file for file input?

it would be nice -
I've had it in mind -
but involves some work to make it happen.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net