lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev color OFF does not work with slang

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev color OFF does not work with slang
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:59:54 -0500

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 04:20:54PM -0500, Sean McGuire wrote:
> I have a problem that I hope someone here can help me with.
>
> I have compiled both lynx2.8.5dev.9 and 2.8.4 --with-screen=slang
> and --enable-default-colors for i386 3.0 Debian Linux (kernel 2.4.18); I
> have tried both slang-1.4.4 and slang-1.4.6.
>
> Whenever the "Show color" option is set to OFF using the options screen, the
> display refreshes with/changes to color, no matter what the terminal type.
> This results in color activating just by visiting the options page and
> choosing "Accept Changes".  The color can be forced off with the NEVER
> option.  Using the -nocolor command line option starts the application in
> monochrome, but exhibits the same problem when visiting the Options page.

probably it just crept in at some point (a quick check with 2.8.4 shows
the same issue - point being that the people who do use lynx+slang don't
report problems often).

> Since -anonymous mode only allows ON or OFF, this results in -anonymous
> users getting color every time they change ANY option, rendering their
> monochrome terminals unuseable (no bold differentiation or prompt).  Even
> when using VT100, the program starts with the "Show color" option off and
> working correctly; however, whenever any option is changed, colors are
> activated.
>
> I have tried this with ncurses and it behaves correctly, but slang renders
> better for me on a variety of terminals.

that's not a problem with ncurses or slang, but a user configuration issue.
(if you disagree, you should be providing more detail)

> Is this behavior by design or a bug?  Is there a new config setting I should
> set to allow OFF to actually work?  Version 2.8.3 worked as I expected.  Any
> ideas would be greatly appreciated.

it sounds like a bug...

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>