lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev xli -quiet

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev xli -quiet
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:25:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Ian Collier wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 12:28:59PM -0400, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
> > they're just going to the screen either way right now - I don't know
> > offhand if xli is writing to stderr or stdout.  (I am certain that it
> > doesn't return a useful exit code, since I have tested that more than once
> > - so there's no good way to check if it failed to display an image).
>
> The output is going to stdout as far as I can tell (even if there's an
> error).
>
> > But I'll take a look at the other site Ian mentioned - my copies of xli do
> > not display png files; gimp is too bloated to want to use for this
> > purpose, and xzgv doesn't satisfy me either).
>
> Never heard of xzgv.  However, there's obviously xv (depending on

Like xli, but has a thumbnail/directory selector.  It tends to use a lot
of screen real-estate though.

> whether you like the licence), and the other choice which springs
> to mind is "display" (which comes with ImageMagick).

xv tends to display the same stuff as xli (similar libraries).

> xv doesn't seem to come with Red Hat any more.  Shame, but you can still
> get the SRPM from Red Hat 6.2 powertools.

I usually just copy it from another system (I seem to recall having a copy
of the source - may have built it once or twice).

> xli has never come with Red Hat, which is even more of a shame.
> However, the aforementioned site has an SRPM for xli-1.17 which
> does indeed support PNG.

That's useful.  Thinking back, another problem with xli is that it won't
do color on the high-color displays.

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net