lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev any way to download *.asf files by "mms://" protocol?

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev any way to download *.asf files by "mms://" protocol?
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 07:17:12 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, David Woolley said:

> Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 07:22:12 +0100 (BST)
>
> Many audio files, and I think .asf are amongst those, are intended only
> to be streamed in real time.  One reason for that is almost certainly
> copyright control (digital rights management); the owners of the content
> are probably prepared for it to be listened to in real time, where it
> can be accounted for, and removed from the system completely, but not
> for it to be served in a form where it can be saved and redistributed.

This should be easy enough to defeat with a logging proxy.

> The more user oriented advantage of streaming is that the contents of
> the stream can be tweaked to account for the exact bandwidth available.

Interesting.  Can they monitor the transfer rate and adjust the
compression dynamically?  I believe I've seen clients that ask as
part of a configuration step that the user enter the connection speed.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL