lynx-dev

lynx-dev LYNX: "Are you sure you want to quit <LYNX>?" (add "LYNX")

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: "Are you sure you want to quit <LYNX>?" (add "LYNX")
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 18:30:38 -0400

To that question

  "Are you sure you want to quit?"

please change it to "... to quit LYNX?".

WHY:

Because some much-used programs (for me, it's
mutt) can be set up to run eg lynx when
they see eg an html file or email.

Now, mutt uses "q" to mean "pop back
out of a level, and when at the top
level, it means to exit mutt".

A somewhat "scary" command to use in
situations you aren't used to within
mutt -- eg when mutt's calling lynx.

Heck -- I bet some mutt-users don't even
know that mutt is running (forking, I'd
supppose) lynx.

---

Anway, they automatically get into lynx,
without even knowing there's a program
transition, and to say to "mutt" (actually
lynx) "ok, I through looking at *this* email"
via "q" -- well, that "are you sure you
want to quit?" prompt sure looks like
MUTT is asking them if they want to quit
MUTT.

So, that's why.

---

Also, perhaps, if lynx can tell that it's being
called by some other program but that it (lynx)
is to take input from the tty, eg that this
is a lynx-run from some *other* program,
MAYBE it'd be worthwhile to "advertise" (in
more ways than one) that it's LYNX (rather than
eg MUTT natively) that's doing this wonderful
html translation for them.

Also, it'd help the user's mental concept of
what's happening, where he "is" when, what
his *current* context is, for him to be
explicitly *told* that he's just switched
into LYNX (maybe with the lynx URL showing too);
perhaps this would just "flash" onto the screen
for a second or so, or appear at the top of
the displayed translated-from-html page.

(It should also tell him/her how to help
on keystrokes, etc -- he *needs* to know
he is currently NOT in mutt with ITS key-bindings.)

Comments?

David