lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Problems with lynx 2.8.4 (file upload etc.)

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problems with lynx 2.8.4 (file upload etc.)
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 19:39:13 -0400

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 12:44:24AM +0200, Frank Heckenbach wrote:
> Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
> > I fixed (at least partly) these in the 2.8.5 patches.  There's no selection
> > dialog though.  But now files are encoded only if they need to be.
>
> Actually what I meant is: I don't mind if the file is encoded, as
> long as there's a way for the CGI to find out that it is (MIME
> headers I guess). Is this also done in the patches?

no - my fixes were addressing a complaint that some sites did not accept
the mime-encoded data, and comparing against netscape decided that was
the issue.  Possibly as you suggest, the MIME headers are missing, but
at least plain text can be uploaded (limited testing).  I was thinking of
revisiting it to make a file-selection dialog, but have been very swamped
with my day-job since February (so my to-do list only grows ;-).

I did check (just now) a file against http://validator.w3.org, so at least
lynx does succeed in uploading to that site.

> > > 4.)
> > > Table cells containing <br> tags cause a staircase effect, e.g:
> >
> > it depends on the type of table - some fit into TRST's model, some don't.
>
> I looked at README.TRST, and AFAIUI such a table belongs to this
> "grey area" which is rendered worse than without TRST, and the best
> I can do (on the HTML side, as much as I generally dislike
> "optimized for browser foo") right now is to prevent the use of TRST
> to get back to the previous look. I could do this by putting a dummy
> <tab> or nested table within the table, or is there any better way?

I'm not sure (a few people have worked on TRST, but I've only done some
repair work after that).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net