lynx-dev

Re: Mailing list readership (was: Re: lynx-dev How to Lynx)

From: David Woolley
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 22:34:13 +0100 (BST)

> I could check but I think you will find the Precedence: header dicumented in
> RFC 822. FYI the precence header does *NOT* have any affect on whether you are

I think you will find it is not.  It is the lack of a standards track RFC
reference to it that allows MS to ignore it.  (Just checked - it is
definitely not in RFC822.)

> I do not like to shatter to many illusions but both the envelope address and
> the email address in the message header are trivial to forge. If you want a

I'm perfectly well aware of this; I ditch a lot of spam before it even
reaches the SMTP BODY command because the envelope sender domain is
forged.  That you should not auto-reply to header addresses in email
relates to well formed mail.  You should not auto-reply to spam at all,
although you can't help responding to valid headers if you bounce it
during the SMTP MAIL or RCPT commands, except that some old sendmails
will suppress bounces for some precedences.

> The only reliable information is Received: headers, provided you are smart

I used to regularly manually trace on these and complain to ISPs, but
a lot of spammers these days have rogue ISPs connected via laisser faire
backbone ISPs.