lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx: ftp anonymous password

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx: ftp anonymous password
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:58:11 +0900 (JST)

> If we want to settle the issue once and for all, maybe one should go for an
> option to decide whether or not to send your email address or a per site
> basis.

I vote for an option either to enter the password ("your e-mail address")
manually or to have Lynx enter it automatically for you, i.e., the present
implementation.  Someone has to be concerned enough to submit the code to
do that.

If you want to have Lynx lie for you automatically, then personally I hope
you would consider using a tool such as wget which is designed specifically
for non-interactive, automated transfers, or hack the Lynx code and compile
a binary for your personal use.  I also hope you would consider whether you
really want to use anonymous ftp *services* at all.  Abuse is a two-way
street.  To turn off ftp, please use the configure option "--disable-ftp".
Please don't punish those of us who wish to abide by terms of service, old-
fashioned or not.

__Henry