lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Download indicator hogs my bandwidth

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Download indicator hogs my bandwidth
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:06:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Pat Traynor wrote:

> The connection from my house to the internet is awful - I rarely exceed
> 24kbps.  But I have a Linux server co-hosted at my ISP, which of course
> has a great connection.  So if I have to download anything exceptionally
> large, I'll get onto the Linux box and use Lynx.  Then I'll take a drive
> to the ISP with a handful of Zip disks.
>
> This works great, except that while downloading a file, Lynx clicks off
> the number of bytes being downloaded via my telnet session.  It does
> this at such a high rate of speed that it's using up a considerable
> amount of my 24kbps bandwidth.

I have read the replies already posted, but none of this makes any
sense to me. If I understand properly, you claim that the changing
byte numbers at the bottom of the lynx screen take up most of your 24
kbps bandwidth when you are just connected by telnet or direct modem
connection to a linux machine running lynx. This seems impossible. It
wouldn't even take up most of the bandwidth on a 2400 bps connection.
The whirling digits can be annoying, and have troubled some users who
use screen readers which try to speak the numbers, but the number of
bytes involved can't affect the connection the way you propose, unless
I misunderstand what you are doing.

You could set "SHOW_KB_RATE" to TRUE or NONE in lynx.cfg to slow the
rate of change, but this should be more of an aesthetic change than
functional.
                            Doug
__
Doug Kaufman