lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev question about dump

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev question about dump
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:54:39 +0100 (BST)

>  I have a question that hopefully someone will know the answer. I want to
> use the command:
>
> lynx -dump http://some.address.com/file.gz > file_result

You really want to use wget, not lynx.

> my question is, will it always be the case the file "file_result" is the
> decompressed version of "file.gz" or is there some configuration option

I believe that depends on the Contents-Encoding headers sent by the
web server.

> that actually manages this, and if the answer is no, will it be the case
> that file_result and file.gz will be the same file, and in this case does
> it make sense to set -width=X to a big number?

-source is better than -dump, but wget is really the only suitable
tool for downloading exact copies of files from the command line.
-dump is intended to save rendered HTML, not raw files.