lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Interesting lynx acknowledgement

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Interesting lynx acknowledgement
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:06:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Mike Castle wrote:

>Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 16:34:48 -0700
>From: Mike Castle <address@hidden>
>To: Lynx Development List <address@hidden>
>Subject: lynx-dev Interesting lynx acknowledgement
>

>So, having just moved to the bay area, I decided to check out Fry's
>Electronics website (www.frys.com):
>
>   Welcome To Fry's Electronics home page. We apologize to all of our
>   Lynx users for our framed format. Due to the fact that Netscape does
>   not support iframes, we chose this format. To navigate the site please
>   select the "navigation" frame. Please select the "main" frame for the
>   meat of the site. We thank you for stopping at the home of fast,
>   friendly, courteous service and we hope we will see you in a Fry's
>   Electronics near you.
>

>I haven't decided if I should be amused or offended.

Why should you be either?

I can't think of any other sites that actually give *useful workaround
information*.  If they don't want to support a non-frames version, that's
their choice..  But I am *GLAD* they give tell you how to find the main frame!
(Though from what I remember checking out the site long ago, even in a GUI
browser there isn't much useful there.)

BTW, a long time ago I mentioned an invalid cookie on wellsfargo's site
(that only showed up via lynx -- if there's a way to make IE 4.5 or even
newer show invalid cookies, tell me, and it may raise the priority of the
issue).  Sending in to the generic support address was never useful.
However, I finally simply emailed address@hidden about it..
While I wasn't able to give more specific info (even resizing my GUI terminal
emulator window wider here at work, lynx cut off the message at 80 cols)
about the invalid cookie, the person who answered the email said they would
try to fix it at some point in the future (months).

I'd call that a bit of a success story..