lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: Cygwin/Lynx Progress

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Cygwin/Lynx Progress
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 07:42:46 -0500

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 11:56:26PM -0500, Lloyd Rasmussen wrote:
> I have gotten a little further, using your Config.sh.  I am running
> Cygwin, latest version (1.18).  McAfee 4.03 with very recent data
> files does not complain about downloading it.

but McAfee 4.5 and 5.x do.

In particular, they don't like binutils (as well as a couple of other
less-essential packages which I don't recall).

> The linking process halted when it encountered the expression
> "string_short" in lymainloop.c.  I examined that area of the code,
> decided it had something to do with Japanese character processing
> which I wasn't going to be using, and I commented out that line with
> /* ... */.
>
> A copy of Lynx is built, but there are several things wrong with it.
> It seems to require the cygwin1.dll file in order to run.  The home
> and end keys don't do anything; cursor keys, Pgup, Pgdn, space, b,
> etc. do work.  Shift-Tab acts the same as Tab, moving to the next
> link.  I think this configuration doesn't know it's supposed to be
> compiled for Windows 9X/2000/NT.

home/end are probably a terminfo mismatch (afaik I've tested "cygwin"
in ncurses 5.x, but have seen some mangled versions from the people
working on cygwin which obviously were not tested - perhaps that's
the problem).

shift-tab is a terminal emulator limitation: most emulators don't
implement this (I did for XFree86 xterm early last year, though I
haven't tried using that with Lynx)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com