lynx-dev

lynx-dev for FAST control-R, optional save-html-to-disk

From: Fiber McGee
Subject: lynx-dev for FAST control-R, optional save-html-to-disk
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 11:42:46 -0600

The message below from David Combs
<address@hidden> was forwarded
by the list moderator.

Why?

Myself, I view articles WIDE (20inch screen), 150 columns
wide.

When I come across something I want some OTHERS to see,
via email, I ^Z lynx, set cols to 77, fg back in,
and do a control-R, which re-parses the html
and displays it -- and thin I p(rint) that to
a file, which, after hacking, I email off.

Problem is that the control-R has to reconnect
(via the net) to that site, and re-read the (same)
html it already had.

As you all know, just because you succeed NOW
in connecting to a site and grabbing file
does NOT guarantee that you will be able
to do again in eg 60 seconds -- the site might
be busied-out by then.

---

We've talked before about keeping lots of sources
automatically on disk -- but it would satisfy me
JUST FINE if we saved only the most recent.

That is, each time lynx reads-in an html-file,
it should also (if some option is turned "on")
write that file to disk.

Then, when you do a ^R, lynx would ASK you if it
would be ok to avoid the net and simply reparse
that html sitting in that file.

Sure would make ^R faster!  Would be a boon to
all who LOOKED at stuff with a WIDE screen, but
forwarded that stuff NARROW.

---

I assume someone is keeping suggestions like this.

Thanks!

David