lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: nice needed feature: one-level-deep include-body-of-l

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: nice needed feature: one-level-deep include-body-of-link
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:35:49 +0500 (SAMST)

On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, David Combs wrote:

> Check out this link:
>
> 1. [13]C-SPAN Networks Schedule
>      http://inside.c-spanarchives.org:8080/cspan/cspan.csp?command=dschedule
>

> You'll notice that many of the programs have a link, which if
> you follow it will give you a SHORT blurb on the tv-program.
>
> Now, what I've been recently doing, on weekends, is to download
> the main page (lynx-produced ascii), stuff it into an emacs buffer,
> then back on my shell account, hit the links, mouse the resulting
> lynx text from the screen, "copy" it (that's what my sun keyboard
> key for this says), flip windows back to my local emacs, and
> yank (ie, paste) it into the "proper" place in that schedule.
>
> Finally, I write it out from emacs and send it to the laser printer.
>
> -----
>
> Now, it would sure be nice if LYNX could do all that for me,
> automatically, with no tedious cutting and pasting (via kermit
> connection).
>
> One level deep is what I'd want -- no subtree or cycle or
> anything.
>
> The main thing is that lynx would do the "including" in
> the right place.
>
> Would sure save a lot of finger-work!
>
> ----
>
> Other possibility: to the html experts among you:
>
> Is there some way to tell, via html, lynx to
> include the body of a linked-to page right there
> where the link sits in the top page?

 No, there is no way to do that.

> Maybe someone good at perl could write a quickie
> that hacks a \ html-file, which we then read back
> into lynx, and the displayed version has this included
> text?
>
> With maybe a pre or post filter (perl) that gets rid of
> the "references:" list at the bottom?
>
> ----
>
> Seems to me that with perl supposedly being "bundled" into
> some coming version of NT, maybe also solaris, surely with
> linux, etc, lynx could "ship" with some perl scripts included.
>
> Maybe even a lynx-module, to make it easy to hack either
> html FOR processing by lynx (eg this include-idea),
> or for post-processing module.
>
> Maybe even adding facilities (hooks?) to lynx to run
> perl-based filters at certain strategic places?

 Yes, shipping a directory with scripts (even not only in perl) would be
useful. Klaus posted several useful scripts as I remember (probably some of
them were not lynx-specific).

> ---
>
> Maybe ditto for TCL and python and whatever-else?
>
> ---
>
> Anyway, after all these alternate ideas, please do
> remember the ORIGINAL reason for this post --
> getting "clean" insertion of the blurb-bodies into
> that c-span schedule!

 The task you described - "ORIGINAL reason for this post" could be easily done
if lynx was able to pass htmls that are being read by it through another
program/script (probably with the ability to bind particular script with
pattern to be matched against URL of the file being read). Such functionality
is the only working solution that makes lynx usable for most of commercial WWW
on a daily basis.

 As for me, I could implement and support that provided I receive a grant
or money from somebody (starting at $1.5K) (sorry, can't do that for free).
Probably American National Association of blinds (if there is one) could be
a possible sponsor. I will appreciate a lot if someone managed a grant for
this.

> Thanks!
>
> David

 Best regards,