lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: do the "override?" msg FIRST (as well as at end?)

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: do the "override?" msg FIRST (as well as at end?)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 17:38:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, David Combs wrote:

> Currently, it isn't until AFTER you have downloaded
> some maybe huge (emacs is 50mb!) file that you find
> out that you ALREADY have an identically-named file on
> the disk.
> Yes, many things use simple names, like "index", but
> many more (?) have full names, like foo-3.8.2.tar.gz,
> and you'd like (maybe) to know BEFORE downloading if
> perhaps you ALREADY have it.
> Anyone think that some such facility would be useful?

I don't think that I understand what problem you are talking about,
let alone your proposed solution. Are you talking about name conflicts
or about downloading the same file more than once? I would think that
either would be handled by either suspending lynx (with CTRL-Z),
if supported, or shelling to the command line (with "!") and using
the usual file utilities to see what you already have. I do this
frequently in both unix and DOS. If you download a file and find that
another file with the same name already exists, the temp file is still
there, so you can just cancel the saving to disk with CTRL-G, then
save to another name, or just say no to the request to overwrite, then
pick another name for the saved file. Perhaps you could try to explain
again exactly what causes you problems.
                            Doug
__
Doug Kaufman