lynx-dev

RE: lynx-dev lynx email-sending: ask "cc" AFTER editing the email?

From: Joris Dobbelsteen
Subject: RE: lynx-dev lynx email-sending: ask "cc" AFTER editing the email?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:05:34 +0200

Can't we better enhance the text-editing ability. This will benefit the user
when browsing the Internet and make the implemenation of this e-mail system
much easier...

> Before?  Yes, *and* after.  You could have a dummy-form with only
> a Submit button on the same page, maybe named "Compose" or "Type
> Message", which spawns the default editor, and the second [the
> "real" form] would have all the header inputs.  When *that* form
> is submitted, the message would be sent.
>
> Currently, after composing a message in another editor, Lynx returns
> you to the last page, which in this case would be the form.  From
> there, you can change your CC and BCC, add Organization: the B0RG,
> or whatever you like, then send it or cancel with the back button.

I always make mistakes, and wan't to modify the text afterwards, what thus
must be possible, so you must have the ability to switch between the two
inputs.
I would prefer, that when you are editing the message body (this text) you
can see the To, CC ans subject boxes.
The best way would be having them in one document, but this requires
enhancements to the text-editing ability.

> Is this getting complicated?  Sorry, the visual model that popped
> into my head was pretty simple, but not easy to describe.
>
> Short version: You follow a mailto: link, and Lynx shows you a
> form, letting you fill in different header fields as you like.
> When you're done, you hit the "Type Message" button and bare your
> soul to Pico [or whatever].  On exiting Pico, you return to Lynx,
> and the form.  Then either submit, change one or two things first,
> or cancel.

Ok, you thought about switching between those two items, that's fine for my.

> > Also I suppose it would require less programming then (or
> than???) rewriting
> > the code used for sending e-mails.
>

> > Hope I explained it a bit better.
>
> Hope I did too. . .
>

> > > The problem I see with that suggestion, given my limited
> knowledge of
> > > lynx and html, is that it would need to be a form, and
> lynx's ability
> > > to edit forms is limited (since the editing has to be
> done in the html
> > > document and can't be spawned out to the local editor.

Consider this:
* Have to switch between headers and message body, but have
  a simpler (and quicker) implementation.
* Enhance text-editing ability, which will benefit browsing
  (forms support) also, and have the ability to put the headers
  (to, cc, subject, etc.) and the message body in the same
  document, but requires much more work to be done...

I would prefer the second option, because it would also enhance Lynx, and I
like it more to have the headers and message body shown together in one
document.
What whould be great is to have the headers and buttons always visible, not
depending on where you are typing in the body, but this will be almost
impossible for Lynx, so just forget this line...

But it's up to the developers to choose what to do. We can always step from
the first to the second implemenation (or reverse), but one good choice may
save work later on...

> Question:
>       "How can I make my system 100% safe and secure
>       from an outside attacker?"
> Answer:
>       "Simple: unplug your modem."

--- Wrong, never install a modem (or network or whatever...) ---

       (((But then I would love an insecure system...)))

>                         Patrick
>               <mailto:address@hidden>

- Joris
  address@hidden