lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG

From: Atsuhito Kohda
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:41:32 +0900

From: Henry Nelson <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 12:07:15 +0900 (JST)

> > Concretely, "LANG = ja" will be taken to mean EUC-JP, while
> > "LANG = japanese" will be taken to mean Shift_JIS.
>
> On Solaris 2.6, LANG can be set to either of those values, and the exact
> same lynx binary, with the exact same .lynxrc and lynx.cfg works properly.
> In fact, you can set LANG to "C," and lynx still works fine, meaning it
> will display properly labeled/written Japanese documents in the requested
> DCS and Japanese messages are displayed.  What more does Lynx have to do
> that it doesn't do already, wrt CJK?

It is trivial that lynx works fine to display Japanese with
the same .lynxrc and lynx.cfg regardless the value of $LANG.

I never say that $LANG is important for lynx to display
Japanese.  It is CHARACTER_SET which is important in this
case.

I only said that to determine the value of CHARACTER_SET,
some 'flag' is needed and $LANG might be a good candidate
regardless one uses a wrapper or source code modification.

Regards,                        2000.5.25

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <address@hidden>