lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: Administrivia: List "reply" address

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Administrivia: List "reply" address
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 18:02:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 11 May 2000 address@hidden wrote:

> Why all the complexity?  Why not merely respect the Reply-to: if
> supplied by the author?

Perhaps I am really missing the point here. This is a mailing list.
Individuals are subscribed at the address of their choice and receive
mail from the list there. Why is it proposed to have replies to
individual messages go to the author at some other address and not
to the list? It really seems that this is against the principle
that list discussion should take place ON the list, rather than in
the background. If someone will be away from their normal address
for list mail, and will be posting from another address (via the
lynx-dev-contrib method), then replies can be reviewed from the
archive at flora, or the list member can temporarily subscribe at the
new address. Forwarding of list messages could probably also be done
via a procmail recipe. Informal list policy, as long as I have been on
the list, is that discussion generally takes place on the list, rather
than in private email between participants. How does it benefit the
list as a whole, and list-dev progress in general to change this now?
Reading discussions between Klaus and Fote, where I didn't understand
more that one third of the topic, was interesting enough to keep me
on the list when I first joined. I presume that others also find such
exchanges interesting and educational. I hope that the propsed change,
which would change the character of this list, is not adopted.
                         Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden