lynx-dev

RE: lynx-dev URL scheme question for VMS

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: RE: lynx-dev URL scheme question for VMS
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 21:56:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Jerome LAURET wrote:

> > I think LYCheckForProxyURL should _not_ be changed back to the
> > previous behavior.  For example if one mistypes a URL scheme (like
>
>       Agreed. I just wanted to know if it is ever going to be re-supported or
> not or if there was any plans to do so. If not, software support I do here
> includes warning people of what was working before, and what they have to do
> now to get the same functionality. In other words, I wanted to be sure that I
> can reliably say "the following scheme will no longer works. Please use the
> correct ///Logical/file.html syntax instead" ... and my job is done. What is
> not good is to have a feature in, then out, then in again etc ... (users get
> confused and my life becomes miserable).
>
>       So let's say : leave it as is  is fine with me.

Well, the code seems to be still there in other places to handle the
native syntax (for example in LYConvertToURL).[*]  It just wasn't
being reached any more, because of the is_url test.  Whether it's worth
maintaining is up to interested VMS users (i.e., you...).

The change I mention was, according to CHANGES file, from
   1999-01-18 (2.8.2dev.14)
and I don't remember seeing any messages since then from VMS users about it.
So either nobody but you was trying to use native file syntax (it's been a
"hidden feature" which didn't affect anybody else), or VMS users all have
been using older versions...

But anyway, I think it's safe to say that "Unix SHELL syntax" is the
preferred form of input.  (Full URLs should be even more preferred.)

[*] I *assume* that the change I suggested will re-enable "Logical:file.html"
    for VMS - I have no way of testing it.