lynx-dev

lynx-dev Mouse point and click on the console

From: Morten Bo Johansen
Subject: lynx-dev Mouse point and click on the console
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 14:39:22 +0200

Hi,

Is there any chance of this being implemented into Lynx so one
doesn't have to fiddle with ncurses and gpm?

The Links browser can make use of the mouse this way and so can
for instance the Jed editor so I thought maybe it wasn't so
hard to implement? The latter is based on slang so at least
with the slang version of Lynx there might be hope?
Links I believe does not make use of curses/ncurses or slang
but gets its mouse functions from gpm directly.

I'd use the keyboard 90% of the time anyway but sometimes it's
really handy to be able to point and click.

I have a further little suggestion for the lynx.cfg file that
has the following entry about mouse support:

.h2 USE_MOUSE
# If USE_MOUSE is set TRUE, Lynx (when configured with ncurses)
# will allow the user to click with button-1 on links to select them.

This is only halfway true since it requires ncurses to be
compiled --with-gpm and I don't know how many distributions
include versions of ncurses that is compiled that way. SuSE
never has for sure so it should look like this:

.h2 USE_MOUSE
# If USE_MOUSE is set TRUE, Lynx (when configured with ncurses)
# will allow the user to click with button-1 on links to select them.
# Please note that ncurses must be compiled with gpm support
# for this to work.

Morten