lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev reordered Options

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev reordered Options
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 11:36:56 -0500 (CDT)

I forgot to repond to 1 point in previous reply:

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:
> >
> >   Display and Character Sets
> >   Display character set            : [Cyrillic (ISO-8859-5)..........]
> >   Assumed document character set(!): [iso-8859-1......]
> >   Raw 8-bit (!)                    : [OFF]
> >   Messages Locale (!)              :
> >   X Display (!)                    :
>
> >   Document Appearance
>   May be just "Appearance"? (show color and popups for select fields applies
> not only to documents (user shouldn't think that 'Options' screen is document
> too)).
>
> >   Show color                       : [ON....]
> >   Show cursor                      : [OFF]
> >   Popups for select fields         : [ON.]
> >   HTML error recovery (!)          : [strict (SortaSGML mode)]
> >   Show images (!)                  : [as labels]
> >   Verbose images                   : [OFF..........]

Yes, it's true that "Show color" is not just for _Document_ Appearance.
I chose to put it there anyway, because
 - it didn't really seem to fit better somewhere else,
 - after all, most of the time the user is supposed to view "documents",
   so chaning "Document Appearance" is the main effect of "Show color"...

I don't agree with the point about "Popups" - if the user "shouldn't think
that ...", then he/she shouldn't see "select fields" (what's that?) either.
The effect of the "Popups" setting on the Options screen (old or new) isn't
emphasised anywhere as something separate from the effect on "Documents"
with forms, AFAIK (although I haven't checked all the documentation).
(The effect on the Options menu is explicitly described in
Lynx_users_guide.html, but only for the *old*, key-based Options Menu.)

So I still prefer "Document Appearance".   But if you insist (and
nobody else has an opinion on this), I'll change
   s/Document Appearance/Appearance/.

     Klaus