lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: messages

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: messages
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:23:00 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Henry Nelson wrote:
> That's not true.  I complained very loudly about the redundancies and
> inconsistencies.  I even tried to simplify the P)rint page as a start,
> but any momentum I had was completely knocked out of me.  I still have
> problems swallowing the "y/n",

But it does work now for Japanese, by jsut leaving "yes" and "no"
untranslated, right?

> "." and

Could you explain (or repeat...) what the problem with "." is?

> .lynxrc handling.

I assume you mwan that translation of .lynxrc explanations is unnecessary?
I tend to agree (at least, there are more important and more user-visible
things to internationalize), but you don't *have* to translate those blurbs.

> Seems with
> each new update I loose another translated string to some obscure change
> in the msgid.

But that's unavoidable as long as the code "lives", i.e. changes.

> I for one believe the man has some legitimate complaints.
> Of course I also hope he has the energy to fight for what he thinks is
> right and will get some changes made.  Most translators would agree, IMO.
>
> The only recommendation I could make for the following and similar:
>       msgid "Out of memory reading jump file!"
>       msgid "Out of memory reading jump table!"
>       msgid "Memory exhausted!  Aborting..."
>       msgid "Memory exhausted!  Program aborted!"
> is to not bother to translate them.  It's obvious.

It's certainly a valid approach to choose, to leave some messages
untranslated (those that might be more confusing when translated, or only
useful to experienced debuggers, or can only occur when something is
badly broken anyway, and so on).

> I pity anyone who
> took the trouble to make a msgstr for each of those.

But I don't see what is particularly difficult about the quoted
ones.

   Klaus