lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev DJGPP2.03 and bugfix lib

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev DJGPP2.03 and bugfix lib
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 12:57:14 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Klaus Peter Wegge wrote:

> I've started a complete new DJGPP compilation of lynx.
> Used components:
>   DJGPP2.03
>   gcc2.95.2
>   binutils 2.81 (I couldn't find 2.91 you are using)

binutils 2.91 is recommended, but no precompiled binary package is
available. A patch was posted to the DJGPP mailing list/newsgroup to
allow compiling your own.

>   zlib1.1.3
>   watt-32 V2.1
>   pdcurses2.4 (does it already include the patch, mentioned in
>       the file "installation" for V2.3?)

I think 2.4 still needs the getbkgd patch, but I am not at my DOS
machine to check now.

> Perhaps I missed some discussion. Is there a SSL library available
> we may use officially in Europe and which copiles with DJGPP
> for lynx?

I haven't tried to compile openssl for DOS, and haven't
heard of anyone else trying. If you want to try, go to
"http://www.openssl.org/";. If I recall correctly, you need perl (but
this is available for DJGPP). Let us know if you succeed.

> > just used DJGPP 2.03 to port wget to DOS with
> > the WATT-32 library. It looks like it might be of use to some people,
> > even though I don't have background downloading enabled in DOS. I'll
> > probably put it in a package and make it available, once I test it
> > some more.
> Great. I'm very interessed in it. I have seen an example to
> make TSR programms with DJGPP. Perhaps this is one step for
> background downloads. But in addition a packet multiplexer
> is needed. I have seen one some month ago put didn't try it.
> Are you familiar with such things?

No, I am not. Are you talking about DOS programs like pktmux? The main
change still needed for the wget port is an automatic conversion of
filenames if the original name is illegal in DOS. Now it fetches and
truncates filenames if necessary, but a file named "this.is.illegal"
will fail unless an output name is specified with "-O". I plan to
look at the code used for this by unzip and gtar, to see if there
is something simple enough for me to do. (Remember, I am not a
programmer.) Function in the background would be nice, but I'll have
to leave that to someone else to do after I get the basics working.
                        Doug

__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden