lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev changes for Japanese (was: Re: reading SJIS docs)

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev changes for Japanese (was: Re: reading SJIS docs)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:06:09 +0900 (JST)

> > > (1) If Japanese document's charset is specified explicitly
> > >     by the MIME tag or HTTP responses, Lynx will assume the charset
> > >     as it.
> > > (2) Change the Japanese charset detection strategy when charset
> > >     isn't specified explicitly.
[...]
> I thought almost all Japanese like (1)'s behavior but someone might not
> like (2)'s behavior. So I introduced the macro "USE_TH_JP_AUTO_DETECT".

Then, to follow on what Klaus has said, (1) should be the default and
not under any CJK_EX.  (I agree with Klaus, and think that CJK_EX [and
--enable-cjk] should be done away with as soon as possible.)

IMHO, (2) is the more important, and the more significant, of your
changes.  In as much as there is no sensible or "legitimate" way to
change the charset midstream in an HTML document, assuming that a document
is not a mixture and contains only one of the encodings is the logical
entry point.  Also, as more and more documents are now created (HTMLized)
with various PC tools, the likelihood of having mixtures or mislabeled
documents is decreasing rapidly (though I appreciate your recognition of
the need to support x-*, for now anyway).

__Henry